The private rented sector (PRS) has expanded and evolved significantly over the last fifteen years. After nearly a century of decline, its resurgence places it at the heart of the housing system. This, in turn, has prompted a range of policy interventions and responses, the nature and extent of which have differed across the UK. Debate continues over how policy can most effectively respond to the challenges arising in the sector.
The UK Collaborative Centre for Housing Evidence (CaCHE) is collaborating with the TDS Charitable Foundation and the SafeDeposits Scotland Charitable Trust to undertake a broad and diverse programme of research on issues relating to developments in, and operation of, the UK private rented sector. The broad objective of the programme is to contribute to improving standards in the sector. This aligns with the key charitable objective of both the TDS Charitable Foundation and SafeDeposits Scotland Charitable Trust to raise standards in the private rented sector by advancing education on housing rights and obligations.
For more information contact Dr Jennifer Harris.
- Alternative approaches to resolving housing disputes
- Improving compliance with private rented sector legislation
- Understanding the discrepancies between the number of tenancies in the private rented sector and the number of deposits protected
- Introductory blog: Tackling issues in the private rented sector
- Publication: The private rented sector in the UK
- Publication: Alternative approaches to resolving housing disputes
- Policy briefing: Alternative approaches to resolving housing disputes: Lessons for the UK from three international case studies
- Publication: Improving compliance with private rented sector legislation
- Introductory blog: Rethinking regulation: How to improve standards for private renters
- Policy briefing: Improving compliance and enforcement in the private rented sector: Information for UK and devolved governments
- Practice briefing: Improving compliance in the private rented sector: Information for local authorities
In the news
- Scottish Housing News (June 2019): Ground-breaking research aims to improve standards in private rented sector